Is AI a good idea for website content?
Artificial intelligence (AI) has come a long way in recent years, and it is now being used in many different industries and applications. One area where AI is starting to make a significant impact is in the creation of content for websites.
But is this a good idea? Should you use AI to create your website content? In this article, we’ll explore what AI-generated content is, what search engines think about it, and some options for creating content using AI.
What is AI-Generated Content?
AI-generated content is exactly what it sounds like – content that is created by artificial intelligence rather than a human. This can take many different forms, from simple automatic translations to more complex articles and even videos.
AI-generated content is typically created using machine learning algorithms that are trained on large datasets of human-generated content.
The AI system is then able to analyze this content and generate new content that is similar in style, tone, and structure.
We have the process and the track record to improve your website traffic.
Find out how our SEO packages deliver relevant, good quality visitors.
What Search Engines Think About AI-Generated Content
One of the main concerns about using AI to create content is how it will be viewed by search engines. After all, the content on your website is an important factor in how well it ranks in search results.
As it turns out, search engines are generally neutral when it comes to AI-generated content. Google, for example, has stated that it doesn’t have any specific policies regarding AI-generated content and that it treats it the same as any other content. However, John Mueller (Google Search Advocate), said back in April 2022 that
“For us these [content written by machines] would, essentially, still fall into the category of automatically generated content which is something we’ve had in the Webmaster Guidelines since almost the beginning.”
Check out the full article on Search Engine Journal here
That being said, it’s important to keep in mind that the main goal of a search engine is to provide users with the most relevant and useful results. This means that if your AI-generated content is low quality or not helpful to users, it is unlikely to rank well in search results – just like poorly written human content.
Options for Creating Content Using AI
So, now that you know a little bit about AI-generated content and how it is viewed by search engines, you may be wondering if it’s a good option for your website. Here are a few options for creating content using AI:
One of the simplest and most common uses of AI for content creation is automatic translation. This can be a great option if you want to make your website available in multiple languages but don’t have the resources to create separate versions of your content in each language.
There are many automatic translation tools available, both free and paid, that use AI to translate your content from one language to another. Some of these tools are quite accurate, but it’s important to keep in mind that they are not perfect and may produce translations that are awkward or confusing.
AI Writing Tools
Another option for creating content using AI is to use writing tools that are powered by artificial intelligence. These tools are designed to assist with the writing process by suggesting alternative phrases or sentence structures, helping to proofread your content, and more.
There are a few different AI writing tools available, and they can be a useful resource for writers who are looking to improve their skills or save time on the writing process. That being said, it’s important to keep in mind that these tools are not a replacement for human writers and should be used as a supplement rather than a replacement.
AI Content Generation
Finally, there are AI systems that are specifically designed to generate entire articles or other types of content from scratch. These systems are typically trained on large datasets of human-generated content and are able to analyse this content to create new content that is similar in style and structure.
AI content generation systems can be useful tools for businesses that need to produce a large volume of content on a regular basis.
WordPress AI content
We work a lot with WordPress. In fact, it’s pretty much all we do!
Think you can’t incorporate AI into your WordPress website? Here are some examples of where it’s already happening, and how you can use it in your website:
- AI chatbots: One of the most obvious uses of AI in a website. WordPress plugins (such as WP-Chatbot and Tidio) that integrate AI-powered chatbots into your website, allowing you to provide automated customer service and engage with visitors in real-time.
- AI-powered content creation: AI tools (such as Articoolo, Wordsmith, AI Writer, Quillbot and Copysmith) that can generate content automatically, such as blog posts or product descriptions, based on your specifications and preferences. These can all integrate into your WordPress site using plugins.
- AI-powered SEO optimization: WordPress plugins (such as RankMath, Yoast SEO and All-in-One SEO) that use machine learning to analyze your website’s content and make suggestions for optimizing it for search engines.
- AI-powered image recognition: WordPress plugins (such as Imagga) that use computer vision and machine learning algorithms to automatically tag and categorize images on your website.
- AI-powered analytics: WordPress plugins (such as Jetpack and Analytify) that use machine learning to provide insights into your website’s traffic, user behavior, and engagement. These plugins generally provide recommendations for improving your website SEO.
- AI-powered personalization: WordPress plugins (such as Sitecore and Personyze) that use machine learning to personalize content and recommendations for individual users based on their browsing history and preferences. It should be said that these aren’t highly used at the moment!
As with everything “search” the important thing is that your content is accurate, interesting, well-written, and unique, showing off your expertise in your subject matter.
It is quite rare for a top-quality article to be written from scratch, without recourse to research. Inevitably, this means that you scour the web for facts, opinions, and statistics. This takes time, which is why only the best articles are rewarded with inbound links and good ranking positions.
Arguably, AI does the same for you, greatly reducing the time taken. However, unfiltered, it can also introduce errors and ‘untruths’.
So, by all means, use AI to generate your base article, but make sure that you fact-check and add your own voice prior to publishing.
Interesting comments and I agree with the conclusion. As use of AI generated content increases, though, I suspect search engines may change their views and be a little less phlegmatic.
Thanks for your comments Jo. Even if they wanted to get tougher on it, I’m not sure how search engines will be able to tell that content has been AI-generated. Even serious bloggers derive a lot of their ideas, facts, data and base content from other articles on the web, and then adapt it for publishing.